What is Honda’s Econ Button?
Available on a wide range of new Honda models, the Honda Econ button is designed to help you save money on gas by calibrating vehicle systems to maximize fuel efficiency. So, what is the ECON meaning? Does the ECON button save gas? Learn what the Econ button is here, and check out when to use it here at Honda of Kirkland.
How Honda’s ECON Button Works
If you’ve never used the Honda ECON mode, you may be wondering: “What does the ECON button do?” The Honda Econ button saves you money on gas when engaged by changing the settings on a variety of different systems, including:
- Throttle – Throttle response is changed at highway speeds to help reduce acceleration. If you’re a race-minded driver around Seattle, you’ll likely leave the Econ button disengaged.
- Transmission – The gear shifts in the transmission are recalibrated to save money at the pump by shifting at lower RPMs.
- Cruise Control – When cruise control is engaged, the vehicle will be less likely to downshift in order to maintain its speed. This could lead to slight speed variation on hills, but it will save money on gas.
- Air Conditioning – It may take a bit more time to cool off the car, but it’s unlikely you’ll encounter a sweltering summer in Seattle. With the Econ button engaged, the air conditioner compressor will turn on and off more often, noticeably improving fuel economy.
Does Honda’s ECON Button Save Gas?
So, does the ECON button gas on your commute? One of the main reasons you’re saving gas is through pedal power reduction. This enables your car to adjust to power when in ECON mode so the vehicle’s transmission can move accordingly. With less power running through your vehicle, you’ll undoubtedly save more fuel. The ECON button model also provides a smoother and more gentle ride and easier acceleration when you press on the pedal.
When Should I Not Use Honda’s ECON Button?
- On very hot days.
- When merging on and off the highway
- Overtaking other vehicles on the road.
- Towing large amounts.
- On dangerous roads steep hills.
You shouldn’t use Honda’s Econ button if you’re merging onto a highway, since you’ll need to accelerate quite rapidly. If you’re driving down precarious roads, you should also keep your Honda’s ECON mode button disengaged, since both throttle response and transmission change with the Econ button on.
When to Use Honda ECON Mode Button
- Cruising at a steady pace on the highway
- Normal city driving conditions
- Areas where the terrain remains relatively flat
- You aren’t towing anything
- On days that aren’t unbearably hot and you won’t need to use max A/C for long
If you are wondering when to use the Econ button, the answer is most daily driving is fine. As long as you aren’t going to need to accelerate quickly or on challenging roadways, the Honda Econ mode button can be safely engaged and provide some fuel-saving results.
Become a More Fuel-Efficient Driver With a New Honda Vehicle
Check out the ECON button on Honda Accord and other new Honda vehicles for sale at Honda of Kirkland. And if you have any questions for us, from finding local activities to when to use the ECON mode button, don’t hesitate to contact us!
More From Honda of Kirkland
As you search for your next SUV, you need a ride that can elevate your Redmond travels, and that’s why there’s nothing like the support of the new 2022 Honda HR-V interior. With more Honda HR-V seating and cargo space designed to meet your needs along with many advanced cabin features and amenities, see why…
A fuel efficient SUV can make all the difference to your Redmond commute, and you can take your fuel savings to the next level with the outstanding new 2022 Honda CR-V hybrid mpg ratings. With several Honda CR-V hybrid trims to choose from that deliver added performance capabilities to keep you moving to your next…
There’s a lot a new SUV should provide to enhance your Redmond travels, and that’s just what you’ll find when you shop the new 2022 Honda CR-V configurations. With five distinct trim options to explore, as well as a hybrid variant, it’s easy to bring home a model that exceeds your expectations. Get a closer…