How to Change the Battery in a Honda Key Fob
Redmond and Woodinville drivers rely on their Honda key fob to easily start their car, quickly open and lock the vehicle’s doors, as well as open and close the trunk and hood of their Honda sedan or SUV. But sometimes you’ll find that the key may not be working, so if this is the case, then you may need a new battery in the key. This is a simple fix that can be done at home, so learn how to replace the battery in a Honda key fob from the technicians at Honda of Kirkland.
How to Replace the Battery in a Honda Key Fob
When you have a new battery on hand, you should be careful not to damage other components of the key. Follow these steps on how to open a Honda key fob safely and replace the battery with ease:
- Locate and slide the button that releases the metal key inside the fob, and slide the key out of the key fob.
- Wedge the edge of the key between the slot at the top of the key fob. Twist the key to use it as leverage and the back of the key fob should pop off. You can also use a flathead screwdriver for a bit more precision.
- So the pieces inside the battery won’t fall out: Hold the key fob together by pressing your thumb down right above where the battery is located.
- Using your other hand, remove the battery and place the new one in.
- Line the back of the key fob up with the front and press it back together and it will snap back into place.
How to Reassemble a Honda Key Fob
While replacing your Honda key fob battery may be a simple task, one of the downsides is that if not done correctly, some of its internal components or buttons may fall out in the process. Fortunately, there’s also an easy solution to this problem. Follow these steps on how to easily reassemble your Honda key fob:
- Grab your spare key fob to use as a reference of what the reassembled fob should look like.
- Line all of the buttons up next to the key fob faceplate just as they would be placed back into the key fob.
- Flip the faceplate over and place the buttons back into the correct slots.
- Insert the crossbar between the empty spaces of the top two buttons, with the crossbar’s curvature facing outward.
- Insert the battery back into the motherboard with the positive sign facing out.
- Put the motherboard back into the key fob with the rubber film up against the buttons.
- Line the back of the key fob up with the front and press it back together. You will hear it snap back into place.
- Near your vehicle, press all the buttons to test that everything is working properly.
Find More Helpful Honda Service Tips at Honda of Kirkland
Now that you know how to change the battery in a Honda key fob, you can find more helpful service features from Honda of Kirkland, such as how long can you drive on a spare tire or even why your vehicle is shaking when you brake. Count on our service team to take care of any maintenance you need and get you back on the road, or save when you take advantage of our service specials. Contact us today to schedule a service appointment at our dealership near Seattle!
More From Honda of Kirkland
The 2020 Honda Pilot color options are in, and it’s time to take a look at the various styles you can get for this popular Honda SUV. Whether you’re looking for something bright and vibrant to turn heads around Redmond and Woodinville, or want something dark and sleek, you’ll have plenty of choices to suit…
If you’re looking for a powerful Honda SUV that has it all, then check out the 2020 Honda Pilot configurations. Whether you’re looking for more power on Redmond and Woodinville roads, or more technology and safety features to have your back, there’s a Pilot at a price that suits your needs. Check out the 2020…
Choosing the exterior color of your 2019 Honda Civic is, for many Redmond drivers, among the more fun parts of picking out your new sedan. Color matters, as it allows you to personalize your Civic while also loudly declaring who you are as a driver to the rest of the world. Will you choose a…