How to Change the Battery in a Honda Key Fob
Redmond and Woodinville drivers rely on their Honda key fob to easily start their car, quickly open and lock the vehicle’s doors, as well as open and close the trunk and hood of their Honda sedan or SUV. But sometimes you’ll find that the key may not be working, so if this is the case, then you may need a new battery in the key. This is a simple fix that can be done at home, so learn how to replace the battery in a Honda key fob from the technicians at Honda of Kirkland.
How to Replace the Battery in a Honda Key Fob
When you have a new battery on hand, you should be careful not to damage other components of the key. Follow these steps on how to open a Honda key fob safely and replace the battery with ease:
- Locate and slide the button that releases the metal key inside the fob, and slide the key out of the key fob.
- Wedge the edge of the key between the slot at the top of the key fob. Twist the key to use it as leverage and the back of the key fob should pop off. You can also use a flathead screwdriver for a bit more precision.
- So the pieces inside the battery won’t fall out: Hold the key fob together by pressing your thumb down right above where the battery is located.
- Using your other hand, remove the battery and place the new one in.
- Line the back of the key fob up with the front and press it back together and it will snap back into place.
How to Reassemble a Honda Key Fob
While replacing your Honda key fob battery may be a simple task, one of the downsides is that if not done correctly, some of its internal components or buttons may fall out in the process. Fortunately, there’s also an easy solution to this problem. Follow these steps on how to easily reassemble your Honda key fob:
- Grab your spare key fob to use as a reference of what the reassembled fob should look like.
- Line all of the buttons up next to the key fob faceplate just as they would be placed back into the key fob.
- Flip the faceplate over and place the buttons back into the correct slots.
- Insert the crossbar between the empty spaces of the top two buttons, with the crossbar’s curvature facing outward.
- Insert the battery back into the motherboard with the positive sign facing out.
- Put the motherboard back into the key fob with the rubber film up against the buttons.
- Line the back of the key fob up with the front and press it back together. You will hear it snap back into place.
- Near your vehicle, press all the buttons to test that everything is working properly.
Find More Helpful Honda Service Tips at Honda of Kirkland
Now that you know how to change the battery in a Honda key fob, you can find more helpful service features from Honda of Kirkland, such as how long can you drive on a spare tire, how to enter a Honda radio code, how to check car oil levels, how long an oil change takes, or even why your vehicle is shaking when you brake. Count on our service team to take care of any maintenance you need and get you back on the road, or save when you take advantage of our service specials. Contact us today to schedule a service appointment at our dealership near Seattle!
More From Honda of Kirkland
When it comes to SUVs on the market, you’ve got a lot of options, but with the 2020 Honda HR-V configurations, you’ll have everything you need to find the right fully-loaded SUV to keep you moving on Redmond roads. This unique Honda lineup features competitive prices, trusted engineering and fuel economy, advanced technology features, and…
The 2020 Honda CR-V is already impressing Redmond drivers thanks to its incredible performance, but this Honda SUV continues to push the limits of what it can offer with the new CR-V’s towing capacity. Just as the CR-V was engineered to provide an outstanding fuel-efficient ride, a Honda CR-V towing package offers more versatility than…
Redmond drivers looking for a greener performance out of their Honda SUV will love the incredible fuel savings they’ll get with the 2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid’s configurations. This unique CR-V option comes with an exceptional fuel economy and performance while delivering the reliable Honda features at a price you can appreciate. Learn more about the…