Tips for Becoming a More Fuel-Efficient Driver
Use these tips and tricks from Honda of Kirkland, to save hundreds on your summer road trips and leave you a little something extra for that next Seattle shopping trip.
Determine Your MPG Economy
The first step to becoming a more efficient driver is knowing your driving habits now. Follow these steps to calculate your current fuel efficiency:
- Fill your gas tank.
- Set your trip odometer to 0.0.
- Drive as you normally would until the tank is nearly empty.
- Fill your tank again.
- Make a note of how much gas you used and how many miles you drove.
Now, just do a little math. Divide the number of miles by the gallons of gas you used. For example, if you drove 289 miles and used 10 gallons of gas, your equation would be 289/10 = 28.9. So, you’re fuel efficiency would be 28.9 mpg.
City Fuel Economy Tricks
Now that you’ve got your starting point, here are a few ways to improve your fuel economy for Seattle driving.
- Turn Off the Engine. When your Honda is at a stop at long red lights, turning the engine off will save you a buck down the road.
- Brake Gently. Coasting to a stop and stopping gently will save money on gas and wear on your rotors.
- Roll Down the Windows. Turning off the A/C will increase your efficiency and save on coolant.
Small, easy fixes to your city driving habits could net you as much as 5 percent improvement in your fuel costs.
Highway Fuel Economy Tricks
No matter which highway you’re driving down – say, I-405 or I-5 – highway driving offers better fuel efficiency.
- Roll up the Windows. At higher speeds, drag increases and your engine has to work harder – costing you more fuel.
- Turn off the A/C. If you can stand it, turning off the air-conditioning can help to reduce the amount of fuel your engine needs to run.
- Slow Down. Most vehicles are designed to operate their best at about 50 mph. While you can’t cut your speed by that much on Washington’s 70 mph stretches, you can keep your foot light on the pedal and save some fuel.
By reducing speed and using your accessories wisely, you can save wear on your engine and lower your monthly fuel budget too.
Find a More Efficient Car at Honda of Kirkland
Of course, you can get better fuel economy by using the Econ button, or by investing in a hybrid vehicle like the Honda Clarity or Honda Accord. Learn how hybrid cars work, and then test drive one of our many fuel-efficient Hondas at Honda of Kirkland. Contact us today to learn more.